History & Heritage

125th Anniversary

 13th October 2008

Re-enactment - cutting ribbon

Beaumont Park was officially opened 125 years ago on 13 October 1883 by the Duke and Duchess of Albany.  Crosland Moor Junior School year 4 are studying 'Victorian Times' and on 13 October 2008 they did a re-enactment of the Opening of the Park starting at the Main Gate Beaumont Park Road.  The Mayor of Kirklees, Cllr. Karam Hussain, supported the event. 

Children waved their flags and greeted the 'Royal' couple, as they cut the ribbon to officially open the park.

The procession then followed the main drive down to the Italian Gardens where the 'Duchess of Albany' planted an oak tree donated by Mrs Gwyneth Morgan of Beaumont Park.  The oak tree was grown from an acorn and successfully spent its life in a pot for 21 years.

Oak Tree planted 13 October 2008         Plaque for Oak Tree         Gwyneth Morgan